Prep TimeActive: 30 min Inactive: 6-8 hours
Servings8-10 as a main course, 16-20 as an appetizer
Recipe Ingredients* 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
* 1 large yellow onion, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
* 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
* 1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
* 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne
* 1 1/2 pounds extra large (16/20 count) shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
* 1 (28-ounce) can RO*TEL tomatoes, undrained
* 1 (12-ounce) bottle V8 juice
* 2/3 cup ketchup
* 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
* 2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice
* 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
* 2 Tablespoons prepared horseradish
* 1 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
* 4 ripe avocados
* 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
* 1 Tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
* Lime wedges, for accompaniment
* Tortilla chips, for serving
DirectionsHeat the oil in a large pot set over medium heat. Saute the onion, bell peppers, and garlic.
While the vegetables cook, combine the salt and cayenne in a small bowl. Cut each piece of shrimp into 3 pieces, and add to a large bowl. Toss with the cayenne/salt mixture.
Add the shrimp to the pot and saute over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add the V8, RO*TEL, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce, and bring to a simmer, about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in lemon, lime, horseradish, and crab. Refrigerate until cold, preferably overnight.
When ready to serve, peel and pit the avocados and cut into bite-sized chunks. Gently stir in the cilantro and parsley, and ladle the campechana into small bowls or wine glasses. Top each serving with avocado, and serve with lime wedges and tortilla chips.